- Distributed, resilient, architecture, fault tolerant
- Can scale to millions of messages
- High performance - Latency less than 10ms - Real time
- Messaging system
- Activity Tracking
- Gather metrics from many different locations
- Application log gathering
- Stream processing (with the kafka streams api or spark)
- De-coupling of system dependencies
- Integrations with spark, flink, storm, hadoop, and many other big data technologies
Who uses kafka?
- Netflix - uses kafka to apply recommendations in real-time while you are watching tv shows.
- Uber uses kafka to gather user, taxi and trip data in real-time to compute and forecast demand and compute surge pricing in real-time
- Linked in uses kafka to prevent spam, collect user interactions to make better connection recommendations in real time.
- Kafka is only used as a transport mechanism! Developers still need to write code to do these things.
comments powered by Disqus